More from My Baby Book

I didn’t find much in my baby book from when I was a baby. There was one entry on the page about the cute things I said when I began talking. “He says ‘titty’ for ‘kitty'”. I haven’t changed much. Here’s a little note that my Aunt Evelyn sent me. She called herself “Bubber”:

Geeze, is that ever precious! I also found this. It might have been her present. I like it a lot.

Mr. Snyder was Secretary of the Treasury from 1946 to 1952. I’m going to take it out and buy a beer. Or half a beer.

Did I tell someone that I would post a certain Sunday? This was a week or two ago. If you did, I can’t remember what strip it was nor can I find the email. We had house guests and I lost track. And Loinfruit came down from Virginia. Please remind me. I remember about the toaster strip a reader asked for, but I think that was a daily. I’ll post it this week.

I think I finally straightened things out with the book printer. So hopefully I will have it ready this week.

And today the last Ernie/Piranha Club Sunday will appear in the papers. And the final week of dailies will begin on Monday. It’s been a great trip. If you love your job you’ll never have to work a day in your life. I remember when I was 4 years old, I was reading a Li’l Abner Sadie Hawkins Day Sunday comic in the paper. I thought to myself about what a wonderful thing it would be to have a job drawing comics in the newspaper. I remember it distinctly. It took me a while. I started drawing when I was 35 years old. It’s a lot of work and a difficult way to make a living. But it was the best thing I ever did. And thank you so much for reading my comics.

This is from January of 2000…

29 Responses to More from My Baby Book

1. Sam O'Vartea says:

We’ll miss the strip. It was both original and funny, a rare combination these days. And you never got lazy with the drawing. Thanks for all the laffs.

2. Karen says:

Best comic ever. Can’t believe it’s over. Lots of laughs over the years

Enjoy retirement! You will be missed

3. Andy Wangstad says:

Loved your final strip in today’s newspaper – enjoy a wonderful retirement!

4. Chris says:

Mixed emotions, knowing that this day was coming. Bottom line, I’m happy for you and Frau Grace, and wish you the best on life’s next journey.

5. Art Ross says:

Urk, urk!

Even more unbelievable than Enos’s patient surviving, Effie’s lobster thermidor, etc., etc is that this party is over! How will we live without our daily fix from Sid, Ernie, Enos and the rest of the gang? Say it ain’t so!

Bud, thank you for more laughs and fun than you can ever imagine!

6. Longtime Fan says:

Great final strip! I hope you have a great time in retirement!

7. Tom Cain says:

Your strips were always a good chuckle, love your sense of humor.

8. J. Peterson says:

Wow, 30 years! What a great body of work. I started reading Ernie the SF Chron in ’88…lessee 2018 minus 1988…I read the whole run!

Thanks so much.

9. Linda Hinkell says:

Hey bud Grace, I didn’t realize how important reading your comic strip every Sunday was to me until I found out you were going not going To be around doing new strips. I will certainly miss your characters and their goofball stories. I’ll keep watching in hopes you get bored with retirement and decide to make an occasional appearance.
    Linda Hinkell

10. Suzanne Bäckström says:

Thank you so much for changing careers back then! Enjoy your retirement!! 🙂

11. GARY SEXTRO says:

Bud, I have been reading /enjoying your strip for 30 years or more here in Dallas. I was shocked when I heard you are retiring. Enjoy your time and send out a strip occasionally on how its going.

12. Chris says:

There is a spelling mistake, right at the top, right hand corner :” Ernie and the Priana club by…” unless its supposed to be like that to see who the true clever geniuses are. It could also be that Ernie might have joined a different club. But what do I know?

13. Marianne Phelps says:

Your comics made our day! Hubby and I would laugh together, quote your characters, and make sure the other one read it. I do think we all need to laugh more in this world, and you helped us do that. Thank you for your years of creative humor! I hope you continue with your artwork for your own pleasure. After I left graphic design/illustration (before computers!) and doing artwork for others, I now have the wonderful advantage of drawing and painting for myself. I wish that for you!!

14. Lisa Bulger says:

I’m so saddened to find out that you are retiring. I have loved reading first ‘Ernie’ and then ‘The Piranha Club’. Your comic strip has maintained an unbelievably high quality and consistency over its lifespan. I’ve laughed until I had tears running down my face. Dare we hope for a complete collection of all the ‘Ernie and the Piranha Club’
    strips, as happened with ‘The Far Side’ and ‘Calvin and Hobbes’?

About a month ago I was at my dentist having a tooth worked on. For some reason, the story about Arnoldine and her pony came to mind and all I could think of was Tiffany’s line ‘You’re pony looks like Moe Howard’. It was all that I could do to keep from laughing as my dentist laboured away!

I hope that you have a wonderful retirement and I wish you and your family all the best.

Best regards,

Lisa

I think I answered message in an email, didn’t I. That pony story is in one of the collections. I thought it was very funny. I love Arnoldine.

15. I love to Read your comics. It’s really funny and interesting. Your comics made our day fascinating. I like your comic an about Metal Detector.