Frau Pork Helps Enos to Stop Snoring

The next picture in my baby book is of me and my best friend, Billy. He was about 6 and I was about 5. I don’t know how old the cop was. We spent a week in the slammer. This had to be in Chester, Pennsylvania. By the way, the last time I looked at my Wikipedia page, it said that I was born in Chester England.

My mother took this picture. I know this for sure because all of her photos showed a lot of space above the heads. Like this cute one of me in front of our house. (It wasn’t in my baby book. She took tons of photos. Unfortunately most of them were lost during a flood on Anna Maria Island in the late 70’s.) I remember when she took it. She was constantly  telling me to “Hide your peepee.”

I’ve had a lot of email sending me good wishes on my retirement. Thank you all so much. It may take a few days for me to answer them all.

Sam N. asked me to run this little story. Enos has a small problem with snoring. Remember, if there is some particular story or strip that you would like to see, just let me know.

24 Responses to Frau Pork Helps Enos to Stop Snoring

1. Tom Knoff says:

Congrats on your retirement, I’ll miss your strip but I give you credit for hanging in when so many others have thrown in the towel or only do Sundays. Your style vaguely reminded me of Crumb without all of the cross-hatching, as well as your use of the fourth wall. I guess you and he also share similar musical tastes. I guess I should be grateful I can read old Hatlo online.
    Keep the faith, may you forever be politically incorrect.

2. Tim Collins says:

Hello Bud,
    I am sorry to read you are ending The Piranha Club.
    I am sorry for myself. I have enjoyed your humor for some time now.
    I wish you the best in your future.
    Thanks,
    Tim Collins

3. Sam says:

Tack så mycket!

4. Lloyd Wittstock says:

I sometimes buy a copy of the St. Paul Pioneer Press just because they carry your work. Thanks so much for..what, whatever you do with those characters. If they turn out to haunt your dreams, please find a way to give them free rein.

5. Chris says:

There is a spelling mistake, right at the top, right hand corner :” Ernie and the Priana club by…” unless its supposed to be like that to see who the true clever geniuses are. It could also be that Ernie might have joined a different club. But what do I know?

Geeze! All this time! Am I dumb or what?! I’ll let it go for a while just so everyone can see that even the world’s smartest genius can blow it.

6. Bruce Davis says:

Hi, Buddy. I was very bummed to learn you are retiring. I’ve been reading P-Club and Ernie since whenever it first debuted in the Philadelphia Inquirer. It’s been one of my favorites for all those years. It will be sorely missed.

I see that you post old favorites to your blog. The one that sticks in my mind many years after it appeared was a Sunday strip featuring Bobo the cat, in which he is terrorizing Ernie. I don’t remember a lot of the details, but what sticks in my mind is that in one panel (possibly the final panel) Bobo is dressed in a Nazi uniform and he says “Achtung!” I laughed out loud at that sight, and I’ve never forgotten it. I’d love to see it again. Thanks.

7. Pam says:

Hi Bud,
    I just started reading your comics via the AZ Republic this past year & I love them so hearing that you are retiring is a bummer. I am a retired nurse so seeing your medical comics are so funny! Actually pretty much all of them leave me laughing out loud which none of the other comics ever do. I will miss yours immensely. 30 years is a lot of years of service so I hope you have fun doing whatever you choose to do now.
    Thanks again for the laughs!
    Pam

Thanks, Pam. I hope Dr. Pork doesn’t work at your hospital. Just for people’s info, Dr. Pork was the first character I ever created so many years back.

8. Norma Raymond says:

I know these people and I will miss their adventures. I grew up near Chicago so that probably explains a lot. Best wishes on your retirement and thanks for all the years of laughs.

9. Mike acree says:

I have been reading ernie since it started in the rocky Mountain news. Your strip has Givin me a chuckle the whole time. I was wondering if the gags you sent to your editor where available somewhere. I remember you said you turned some in just for a reaction. Love your characters you brought them to life. Will you be selling a book of the collection?

I eventually will get everything out in book form. It will take a while. The 2003-2004 collection is available on Amazon, and I’ve almost finished updating the 1995-1996 collection. I have to update the 2009-2010. I also have 1997-1998 about half done.

10. Joe Balcer says:

I have mixed emotions about your retirement. I will miss your great humor.
    As a retiree my self I’m happy for you. Have a great time doing all the things you ment to do when you got time. Thank you for making my day for the Last 30 years.
    I wish you the best.

11. Casey Janczewski says:

Thanks for many years of enjoyment. I hope you find contentment in your retirement. Thanks again ✌️ Casey Janczewski

12. Dan zimmerman says:

Hey bud, I am really grieving the loss of my daily dose of Ernie and the many Misfits which occupied The Wonderful World a Bud Grace. I Googled you and saw that yes you certainly deserved retirement but what are we piranha fanatics supposed to do everyday without our jolt of your humor? I had missed this announcement earlier and didn’t have any clue from your recent strips that this was going to happen. I kind of wish you would have done some huge end-of-the-world scenario and have everything come to some cataclysmic end. I feel like you left much too quietly. Can’t you come back and exit a little more dramatically? Even if it was just through comics on your website? We need an ending to this great drama that is a little more potent. I know that whatever you did would be terrific.

Thank you for so many years of great entertainment. I’m not alone in grieving the loss of this spice of life that you provided daily. You are terrific. And this was worth way much more then a little more nuclear energy research. Thanks for making that gutsy choice in the early 70s. The world is better off because of it.

Wishing you all the best as you enjoy your free time. But when you you get bored, don’t hesitate to throw some more stuff at the fan and give your fans one more laugh, or two, or three :-).

Dan Zimmerman, a huge fan for many years.