Thick Bread Dept.

What do you do when you buy bread that’s too thick to fit in the toaster?

Easy for a master chef like me. You slice it down the middle…

and toast it!

Perfect!

Frank Purdue was the chicken czar of the Eastern USA. If you google him and look at some videos you will see that he looked like a chicken and talked like one too.

8 Responses to Thick Bread Dept.

1. old guy from san diego says:

hello
    amazon does not sell your last two collections, would like to get them, will you be selling through amazon again? I really hope you plan to publish all the strips so I can have a complete collection to go up on the shelf next to my calvin and hobbes and the farside collections
    thanks for all the chuckles over the years
    ps. if you get the joke in the email address you will be the first one ever

Here’s what you do. Go to Lulu.com. Search for Bud Grace. Two books should pop up. They are cheaper than Amazon. I’ll mention this in today’s post. Thanks fo0r telling me.

2. Steamer says:

His son (Frank, Jr?) does the commercials now…although he does not resemble a chicken quite to the degree his father did. I don’t know if I found Frank’s appearance eerie, or reassuring!

3. Terry says:

Frank’s son is Jimmy. I used to surf with him in Ocean City, MD in the mid 60’s. I worked as a dishwasher at English’s Chicken House on 15th St. Most important job of the day – hauling out the 50 or so steel trash cans full of fowl debris (pre dumpster era) so the trash men could empty them, then put them back. I cleared 40 dollars for a 48 hour week. Good times.

Replying to you and Steamer. Today I’m posting something about Mitsy Perdue in Today’s blog.

Speaking of those times, when I was 14 I worked picking tobacco 48 hours a week for 60 cents an hour. And I had to pay room and board. I cleared about 7 bucks a week. When I was 17 I worked for Tropicana in Bradenton. I made $1.24 per hour. Whew!

4. Steamer says:

Did you ever suffer from nicotine exposure? Both jobs sound like they were hot and unpleasant. And, obviously way below the payscale for leftover chicken parts disposer…which, if you think about it, is below that of Arnold Arnoldski, chicken head biter-offer!

Such awesome material, too bad you retired. :^]

No, but at the end of the 9 hour day I could peel off the nicotine and tar on my hands. No kidding. And that’s what gets in your lungs.