Sorry

Yesterday’s post didn’t get posted till just now.

Here are three of the cartoons on my wall that I just hung. See if you can figure out who did the work and/or what’s the significance. After today’s comic strip I’ll show the answers.

It’s Halloween week, and even though I did scary stuff with the vampire last week, that’s nothing compared to the horror for this week. What’s scarier than a vampire? That’s right, a ZOMBIE!!!!!

1. This one is easy if you’re a fan of the newspaper funnies. At least here in the USA. It’s a Lynn Johnston Sunday from 1991. We’ve been friends for a long time.

2. If you’re Swedish you should recognize this one. It’s a Pyton (Python) strip by Jan Romare from around 1990. He just passed away last year. He was a Swedish diplomat and a terrific cartoonist. Another one of his strips was Himlens Anglar (Heaven’s Angels). All very good and funny. I am proud to say that he was my friend.

3. Well, there’s no question about who the cartoonist was. That was a Punch cover that I drew about 35 years ago. I was a regular contributor for several years before I started Ernie.

7 Responses to Sorry

1. Robin Solis says:

Lynn was a pioneer & role modal for us women cartoonists. As was and is my friend Trina Robbins (she bought a gag cartoon from me for a Marvel cover! My only crowning, publishing acheivement.) The full color cover is posted in my LinkedIn profile.

The cold, pet, Python joke was interesting to say the least. Still smh.

Your drawing 3: did it get on a Punch cover? I’m just saying bc it looks more suited to the humour in say… Hustler. Sort of Callahanish. And I say that with the utmost respect!
    BTW, it was the late, great Skip Williamson who was the cartoon editor in the late 1970s who rejected my Cartoons I sent in to hustler. We later became buddies on Facebook…same for Jay Lynch.

I’m going to post my favorite Pyton gag today. It’s copyrighted, But I’m sure Jan wouldn’t mind. I was a great fan of the underground cartoonists back then. They were my inspiration. Skip Williamson, Jayzee Lynch, Crumb, of course. Gilbert Shelton wasprobably the first I ever read. He came to Tallahassee when I was an undergrad with WW and the Freak Brothers. I met him in Angouleme France many years ago. New Yorker cartoonist Peter Steiner, who is still my friend, an I did a little tour. There was Art Spiegelman, Justin Green, Bill Griffith. I especially loved Willy Murphy. What a pity he died so young. He would have been a giant in the the business if he had lived to go main stream. Kim Deitch’s style influenced me a lot. Notice my shading of clothing. I got that from him. I still have all my old undergrounds. Bobby London was great, still is, and I’m happy to call him my friend.

2. Torbjörn Westerlund says:

The middle one is by Swedish diplomat and cartoonist Jan Romare, who sadly died last year. (RIP!) I used to be a big fan of his comic Python when Dagens Nyheter published it. And this is of course a Python-strip.

He was really a great guy. Terrific cartoonist, Swedish diplomat, and an all around wonderful person. Rest in peace, Jan.

3. Robin Solis says:

Oh, speaking of art for sale… In the 80s, I bought an original panel from S(teve) Clay Wilson. Will you be making any art available? Heck, I really love your blog header!

S Clay Wilson was really good. I’ll tell you what. If I could I would post examples of underground art work. I have all those old comics. Their work is probably all copyrighted. They probably wouldn’t mind, but you never know. I’ll see What I can find on the web.

I forgot to say that if you’re interested in original artwork, shoot me an email at the quacko address.