It’s not a cold

It’s the flu. We had our flu shots, but I read in the news that a second strain is going through. It’s the sickest I’ve been in years. I’m just glad to be back in Florida.

I came across this recording that I made in 1973 when I was teaching at the University of Georgia. God, I hated that place. When I got back to Tallahassee I stopped trying to play the guitar. Maybe I should have kept it up. I might have gotten better. The song is Mississippi John Hurt’s Candy Man.

I bought the tape recorder when I was 17 years old. I had been to a party at Averill Vanderipe’s house, and her father had one. It was the most expensive thing that I ever bought. I had made over $100 cutting grass in the neighborhood.

From 1998. Spencer is up to his old tricks.

8 Responses to It’s not a cold

1. Lasse Åhman says:

If you had had the stomach full with surströmming it would have killed the flu. 🙂

I eat a sour milk and another sort of bacteria drink, and have four dogs.

I havn’t even have had a real cold, and no flu either since 2000.
    And and I take flu vaccinations. But of course thats just for the doctors. 🙂

Dog dirt and sour milk, thats the key! 🙂

2. Lasse Åhman says:

And I do hope you both get well soon!

3. Tom says:

Yes, hope you feel better soon. Last time I had the flu was about 10 yrs ago, I was astonished how sick I got.

4. Anders B Weiborn says:

I think you did very well with the guitar. You should have kept it up! Do you remember the cords you were playing and in what key?

Heck no. When you’re young and don’t have anywhere to turn, you just try to get by. After the University of Georgia I went back to Tallahassee, Florida. My girlfriend was killed in a car wreck. For years after that all I could do was try to survive emotionally. It was the nadir of my life. Trying to play the guitar was at the bottom of my survival list.

• Anders B Weiborn says:

I’m sorry. I didn’t know anything about this tragedy. Alla I wanted to say that was that I think you played very well. I got my first guitar when i was twelve and I never got that good at playing. Sorry if I hurted you! It was never my intention!