Mighty Fine Eatin’!

More about Alaska tomorrow. Assuming I wake up alive.

10 Responses to Mighty Fine Eatin’!

Bud, I hope I can go to sleep tonight, after seeing what Effie no doubt cooked for Sid all these years. Pass the eye bleach please!

I can only hope that the flavor is somewhat less than that Minnesota delicacy, lutefisk. One taste while a teenager sixty years ago at a church social warped my taste buds even today. No amount of “green dessert salad” has erased it (no vegetable can be found within 50 feet of one) , and I will cross the street to avoid a church door!

My apologies in advance to Lasse and other beloved fans across the pond. I think you all do not know the extremes that the Minnesota climate drove your descendants to.

2. SYD-cell says:

I think I’ll pass on that.
    Maybe a sardine – from the can.

When I was a kid I saw an articular by , I think it was, Basil
      Wolverton. It was a really ugly girl eating a pizza. Of all the disgusting things hanging off the pizza was an octopus tentacle. It had to be around 1957.

3. Lasse Åhman says:

Lutefisk, in swedish we call it lutfisk, does not taste anything at all. Maybe a little salt.
    We usually eat it with bechamel sauce, also with no taste, or very little taste.
    What makes lut(e)fisk a bit like Effie cooked, is the texture.
    Wikipedia call it gelatinous.

I think the closest texture is whiped cream.

When I was a child I did not like it either, and it was prepared by my mothers aunt who was a pro cook of the old type who took pride in this sort of food.
    She and my parents and a lot of swedish people eat it at christmas. Traditional.

My father always said that lutfisk does not taste anything, but a good bechamel sauce made the good taste.

When I eat at chineese restaurants I often eat squid. Taste like fish and texture of a Good year winter tire. 🙂

I have probably never eaten a well prepared squid.

Come to my house for dinner. YOu will think lutefisk is a gourmet’s dream.

• Lasse Åhman says:

I would very much like to visit you, but you are safe.
        But next time I eat squid/octopus I will think of you.
        You are ofcourse welcome to and the dogs.
        Fish dinner? Surströmming, lutfisk and squid?
        Herring to.

4. Lisa Bulger says:

Did Effie give you the recipe?

As a matter of fact she did. Did you know that octopusses are very intelligent? Those three I cooked last night were discussing Spinoza.

5. Bob says:

Or Ernie could make squid burgers if the octopus is not that good

Bob, squid burgers are gonna be tasty. When I was a kid in SoCal, abalones ( a large sea snail) were plentiful. They needed pounding to tenderize and breading for taste. As time went on, they got fished out and ultimately protected. Now you can buy farm-raised and $125 per pound. As the price started to escalate back then, I’d buy frozen bait at the fisherman’s landing (squid) and treat it the same. Lotsa ‘experts’ were fooled by my “Phony ‘balone!” Try it!

Lasse, I agree, it was the texture of lutefisk that put us kids in Minnesota off (yes, I was shipped out at every available opportunity by my loving parents). We described it as snot, kinda runny. Minnesotans did not believe in spices nor sauces. Catsup was as good as it got. You can tell your Chinese cooks to take a gross-hatched hammer to the spread-out squid for a couple minutes and let it sit after sprinkling with garlic powder. Then bread and fry or grill. Makes a world of difference!