Continuing…

Any religious beliefs are fine with me so long, of course, as they’re not harmful. As Joseph Campbell said, paraphrasing, “We must understand that religious canons are metaphors.” He said something to that effect. After all, if there is only one true, correct belief, all other beliefs must be false. But as I say, I have no problem with any religion which is not harmful. (For example the worship of Kali by the Thugges)

Even atheism is fine. However, I want to tell you a story about that. The only problem I have is with those whom I’ve termed “evangelical atheists”. I knew a very talented, creative man for years who happened to be an atheist. In a group one time we were discussing life after death. I mentioned two instances concerning people whom I knew very well and who had near death experiences. You’ve all heard these stories, and these two people in the past had related their similar stories. My friend interrupted and gave some baseless argument to the effect that “They (whoever they are) have proven that these so called near death experiences are merely blah blah blah”.  I have no respect for someone who would try to destroy another person’s faith and hope and replace it with despair.

6 Responses to Continuing…

1. Tom jenson says:

Anyone who is easily offended shouldn’t be reading your strip anyway. Bayonne is it’s own breed of special. No one has any prejudice of any kind. If you mention a religion it is in simple fun. The only thing close to offensive is Effie’s singing. Too many forms of entertainment have removed religion completely I am glad you took the time to have some fun with religion.

I’m the nicest guy in the world. What I drew was make believe. No animals or people or even vegetables were harmed while I drew my comics. I cringe every time I have to kill a fly. I give money to bums. Actually I’m pretty pathetic.

2. T Westerlund says:

In my experience, agnostics don’t know if there is a god, and they’re fine with that. Atheists, on the other hand, are a different breed entirely. It would seem that they don’t believe, but at the same time they passionately hate or despise the god they (officially) don’t believe in, whichever that may be. If you believe there is no god, what is the point of caring so much about religion (or the god you don’t believe in)? It’s a bit of a mystery to me.

Correct. I’m going to write a book if I live long enough. Or an essay. Let me tell you something. I’m a little bit psychic. This sort of thing happens to me quite often. Two weeks ago I got up at 4:30 AM to take my friend to the hospital for an operation. I’ve known him since we were kids. On the way there I told him about a former mayor of Bradenton Beach when I was a young man. This was almost 50 years ago. I told him what a sh** he was. He caused my poor widowed mother quite a bit of grief. I went talking about him for the entire ride to the hospital. When we got to the hospital waiting room I picked up the local free newspaper. He was 92 years old. His obituary was in the paper. Doo-doo-doo-dooooo (Theme from Twilight Zone

Actually the worship of Kali by the Thuggees may be somewhat misattributed, mainly due to their lore. Yup, it seems that they arose from the same group that cannot be mentioned in many parts of the world today as they are so peaceful and tolerant.

Anyway, murder was their stock in trade. “According to colonial sources, Thugs believed they had a positive role in saving human lives. Without the Thugs’ sacred service, Kali might destroy all mankind.”

Well, thank you for telling me that. I’ve known a few Thuggees in my days. Did I ever I tell you about the time in the Pastime Tavern 50 years ago? Frenchie, the Hells Angel stuck a knife in my ribs. He didn’t mean to kill me. He was just stoned.