Happy New Year, Everybody!

It’s got to be better than the last one.

I recall the New Years Eve party at the assisted living facility where Frau Grace’s father lived in Orlando some years back. He was about 91 or 92. It was a big facility with lots of residents. The staff decorated the big hall, and the residents parked their walkers and formed a long line at the entrance. (All those walkers lined up along the wall looked like a line of parked motorcycles at a biker bar)  When the doors were opened, Vince walked to the front of the line, cut in front of everyone, and was the first one in. It was a nice party. The staff had turned the big clock ahead three hours so midnight would come at nine PM. Everybody left at eight. It was the most fun I’d had in years.

7 Responses to Happy New Year, Everybody!

1. Lisa B. says:

Happy New Year!

2. Nosegirl says:

Happy New Year from Tokyo!

3. Andy@ says:

Thanks for a wonderful year. I’m looking forward to more of the same in 2021!

4. Steamer says:

Happy New Year, Bud! Yes, isn’t it great when you enjoy such a memorable time when least expected? I’m presuming that you were surprised AND delighted by that New Year’s soiree. My mom moved from that type environment to a much smaller memory care facility in September. She is way happier, she gets more attention and the staff loves her. Here’s hoping we can move on from iPad virtual visits to the in-person kind! All the best to you and Clan Grace!

I volunteered for 15 years at the nursing home where my mother was a resident for the last two years of her life. I know all about those places and theor staffs and residents. Some are better than others. The one where I was was Birmingham Green in Manassas, Virginia. It was a medicaid facility. They did a wonderful job there.

Thanks for all the gags, Bud.

Having this blog to stay in touch with us in our retirement is especially nice. Meeting your friends like Pierre and Delores makes me feel like part of your family.

I keep one of your books at hand by the bedside and it’s the last thing I see before I head off to dreamland.

When I inevitably depart this planet, I’m sure Ernie will be there to welcome me. What could be better than surrounded by family and old friends?