Geeze.

Summer has arrived and my AC is hors de combat. I had it installed 3 years and 3 weeks ago today. And the warranty on the air handler ran out when? You guessed it.

Check out my cayenne peppers. Mighty fine eatin!

12 Responses to Geeze.

1. Lisa B. says:

Our first air conditioner lasted 17 years. Our second one lasted 11 years. The current one began malfunctioning after three years. Three years ago I had to have the evaporator replaced; there was no coolant in the unit but the technician couldn’t find a leak. It worked fine in 2019, but last year no. A technician again came out and again said that there was no coolant in it. He couldn’t find a leak. He filled it and said that if it doesn’t work this year, then I will need a new one. There were problems with the units in the year of manufacture of my current unit.

2. Tom B says:

Here in Scottsdale, AZ, summer temps can hit over 110. A couple of times I’ve had the AC die in the summer. We move into a hotel..

3. Robert R says:

Is consulting the Oracle the same as sticking your head in the part that goes over the fence last?

4. Gary says:

Regarding your AC problem….you likely already know that a large percentage of AC problems are electrical. Check your start and run caps in both your air handler and condenser units (I’m assuming a split system here). If you think you still have 410A on board, it could be a simple electrical repair. (or not….)

I’m in Texas, so I keep on hand a ready supply of replacement caps year around.

• Gary says:

Forgot to mention to also check the contactor operation. Insects can get caught between the contactor points, and I have learned that a squashed bug is a mediocre insulator.

5. Scott says:

There’s an old joke that goes as follows:

What sits on your windowsill humming for 3 years and then suddenly stops?

An air conditioner with a 3 year warranty.

AC compressors (outdoor unit) have high inrush current (on start). Thus the capacitors (unless you have 3 phase). See if lights dim slightly when it starts. For single phase units, there are easy-start kits that work well and prolong compressor life.

Mine is made by Micro-Air Corporation http://www.microair.net
    124 Route 526 Phone (609) 259-2636
    Allentown NJ 08501 Fax (609) 259-6601
    If you give your make and model of compressor, they have a wiring diagram for it.

Any electrician or handyman can install it. I did mine myself with no problems. It took less than an hour. My AC contractor friend said it was an excellent idea. He doesn’t push them as he likes the repair business.

Your air handler is a lower HP unit and doesn’t need one. Problems there are usually control or bearing related. Repairs for them are much cheaper.